Friday, January 6, 2012

Elegant Bacon Soup:


      Its a well known fact that if someone I love starts to feel sick I will undoubtably whip up a pot of chicken noodle soup. But.... I can never leave a traditional recipe alone, I always feel the desire to update and change ingredients. Enter my elegant bacon soup! The perfect blend of creamy smooth broth, hearty penne pasta, and bits of vegetables cooked in bacon grease (Actually everything in this recipe is cooked in bacon grease... that's the basis of the soup's appeal). This soup cooks up in less than an hour but tastes even more delicious the next day with a piece of toasted ciabatta bread. Sure to be a real crowd pleaser, try my bacon soup for yourself!



Magic Ingredients: 
-Bacon (I used an entire package but use as much as you think you would like)
-1/2 pound chicken tenders
-Penne noodles (The amount is again up to you!)
-3 carrots
-1 white onion
-4 stalks of celery
-2 pints of heavy cream
-2 16 oz cartons of chicken stock
-Salt and Pepper

Let's get started!
1: In a large pot, fry the bacon on medium high heat. When the bacon becomes crispy, remove from the cooking vessel and place on a layer of paper towels. Once the bacon cools, chop it into bits. 



2: Chop the mirepoix (celery, carrots, onion) of vegetables into a mince as shown below. You can complete steps 2 and 3 while the bacon is frying.


3: Season the chicken tenders liberally with salt and pepper. Also, make sure to wash your hands after handling raw meat!


4: Fry the chicken in the same pot as the bacon until it is cooked thru. Remove from pot and chop into bite sized pieces after the meat has cooled.


5: Soften the vegetables in the same pot you have been using by adding salt and adjusting the stove temp to medium. 


6: Add the chicken stock, heavy cream, bacon, and chicken back into the pot. Adjust the stove's temp to high and when the soup boils, reduce heat to low and let simmer for about half an hour.


7: Before serving this delicious soup, add in the penne noodles. 

Once the noodles are al dente, dish this 
up and wow your friends and family! 




Yours,
Nico


6 comments:

  1. This sounds incredibly delicious!! I love bacon <3 Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks heavenly! I really love this recipe. I have been trying to find a good soup recipe and this one is great! Tony and I will be trying this one!

    Rhe
    Rhestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so good! I am so lucky!
    ME

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's make this veggie next time I visit! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum! this sounds incredible!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh Nico! That looks so good girl. I'm going to try it. Wishing you a fabulous weekend!

    http://averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!