Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Orange Zest Cake!


      I had some left over oranges from this salad recipe and opted to use the zest in a cake batter! I followed my signature white cake recipe but mixed 2 tablespoons of freshly grated orange zest into the sugar until the two were completely combined and my kitchen was perfumed with the intense fragrance of sunny citrus! The icing on the cake (pun intended!) was my quick and easy cream cheese frosting. This orange zest cake was quickly devoured in just a few days! I only ate a slice half.

Magic Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 cup salted (room temperature) butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup low fat milk (whole milk works too, but I find that low fat creates a fluffier cake)


Getting started:
1: Mix the orange zest and sugar together in a bowl using your fingers until combined. 
2: Using a standard or handheld mixer, combine the sugar mixture with the butter. 
3: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees then add each egg into the batter, one at a time. Mix in the orange and vanilla extracts.
4: Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
5: Add the milk to the batter and mix until just combined. 
6: Separate the orange cake batter evenly between two greased 8 inch cake pans and bake for 18 minutes or until the cake reaches a golden brown. 
7: Allow to cool, then frost the cake (see my simple tutorial here). 
8: Stuff your face.






Yours,
Nico



8 comments:

  1. It's beautiful and looks delicious!

    Also, thank you so much for your kind comments yesterday. I actually got my hair cut a week or so ago, into an actual cut (vs a mushroom) and the layering definitely helped things. As for the skin, you are just too kind. Seriously. My skin is nothing to write home about. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, your food posts always get me. This is no exception!
    Its making my stomach growl...haha, I have such a horrible sweet tooth.

    Trendy Teal

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious www.starryeyed-1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks delicious and appetizing :)


    http://fashion-gourmet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! It looks delicious! to try!!:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious :)

    I have lots of oranges in my fruit bowl at the moment and may just try it.

    Thank you for the comment on my blog, In reply to it I wore this ourfit on the wedding day, hope it gives you some inspiration:

    http://beautyaddictsguidetothegalaxy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/coral-and-gold.html

    following you now :)

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always appreciated!